Parental Update – Return to School
As you will be aware, the First Minister has confirmed that Primary 4 to Primary 7 children will be returning to school from Monday 15th March 2021. We are now in a position to confirm plans for this and make arrangements to welcome children back to school.
All arrangements currently in place for P1-3 will remain the same.
Start Times and End Times
|Class||Start||Entry Gate at Start||End||Exit Point at End of Day|
|P4||9am||C||3:00pm||From the Field|
|P2||9am||A||3:00pm||From the Field|
|P2/3||9am||B||3:00pm||From the Field|
|P3/4||9:10am||C||3:10pm||From the Field|
|P1a||9:10am||A||3:10pm||From the Field|
|P1b||9:10am||B||3:10pm||From the Field|
Drop Off/Collection Point
Children should enter and exit from their allocated gates shown above and line up at their cone at the front of the building. They will be met by their class teacher at their start time here and walked around the building to their classrooms.
At the end of the day teachers will escort them from their classrooms back to their exit points. Primary 5, P5/6, P6 and P7 will leave through the same gates as they entered through in the morning. P4 & P3/4 will be dismissed from the public field at the side of the school. Please find a map attached to show the area they will be dismissed from.
If you feel your child is able to walk safely to and from school independently this would reduce adult traffic into the area. All adults collecting their child(ren) should ensure they collect and leave the area promptly.
The car park will remain open to nursery and P1 parents only. If you are collecting children from the front of the building please do not stand in front of cars or in areas where there is poor visibility. Please do not hang about once you have your child.
Any use of the play equipment during this busy time is unsupported by the school and reminders of this and the need for social distancing are sent out daily. It is a legal requirement that social distancing guidance is adhered to. Please see the following guidance to support you in keeping yourself and others safe.
There will be no home lunches to begin with and all children should take either a packed lunch with them or choose a school dinner. A full school lunch menu will be back in operation come Monday. See link for lunch options: View school meals menu | Aberdeen City Council
Collecting children early from school
We understand that sometimes there is an emergency or a need to attend an appointment which may require children to leave school during the day. If this is the case please contact the school office prior to coming to the school either on 01224 249349 or on 07870484118. We ask that children leaving school during the school day do not return to school until the following day.
The School Day
Your children will find things very similar to school life prior to this second lockdown. This will include –
- Classes will remain in their own bubble
- Any staff member who is within 2m of your child will wear a fluid resistant mask
- Pupils and staff will continue to have increased handwashing and children must remember to sanitize their hands when entering and exiting the building. All exits have sanitizer stations.
- All high touch surfaces within the school will be cleaned twice daily and any resources cleaned after use.
- There will be no movement of staff between schools – this will mean no supply teachers may come in if they have worked in another school that week.
- No staff member or pupil will come to school with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Children should only bring their snacks, a water bottle, a change of clothes in a bag and if they are having a packed lunch. Nothing else should be brought from home.
- Children should wear warm school uniforms and bring a jacket and suitable footwear for outdoor activities every day. If you have indoor footwear already please ensure this is in school to prevent mud being spread across carpets in school.
- Children will use their designated gates, doors, toilets, dinner tables and part of the playground to avoid mixing with other classes.
There will be a few changes.
- All staff who are working within the school are now being offered COVID-19 testing. Staff can undertake this twice weekly.
- PE will take place outdoors again. Under the current guidance PE can only be undertaken indoors within Tier 1, 2 or 3.
- We will update our Risk Assessment to include these changes and ensure our procedures are tight to ensure the safety of all. This is available on our website .
COVID safety outside of school
The First Minister spoke at length about how the partial return to school buildings cannot be seen as a return to normal practices and asked that parents remember to support the strict COVID-19 controls in place by not congregating at the school gates and remembering FACTS.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact myself, Mr Hall or Miss Bruce by emailing the school at Charleston@aberdeencity.gov.uk
Miss Cartlidge and Team
Below is the risk assessment for the school. This is reviewed daily.
If you need to contact the class teacher you can either use the email address below or you can use the below message box
and the message will be forwarded to the relevant teacher.